O-1 Visa: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

O-1 Visa: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

Who can be eligible for a O-1 Visa?

An individual who has an ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or has a demonstrated record of achievement in the film or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.

What are the classifications of O-1 Visas?

They are the following:

O-1A : extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics.

O-1B: extraordinary ability in the arts or achievement in film or television industry.

O-2: individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance.

O-3: individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1’s and 0-2’s.


What is the general eligibility criteria?

In order to qualify for an O-1 visa, you must demonstrate extraordinary ability by support from national or international acclaim. Must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability.


What is considered an extraordinary ability?

Extraordinary ability in the field is defined as a high level of achievement in the field of the arts evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition above that ordinarily encountered.


How long would I be able to stay and/or can I extend my visa?

The initial period of stay is up to three years and USCIS will determine time necessary to accomplish the initial event or activity in increments of up to one year. As an O nonimmigrant, you may be admitted to the United States for the validity period of the petition, plus a period of up to 10 days before the validity period begins and 10 days after the validity period ends.


Can my family travel with me?

Any accompanying or following to join spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible to apply for an O-3 nonimmigrant visa, subject to the same period of admission and limitations as the O-1/O-2 nonimmigrant.  They may not work in the United States under this classification, but they may engage in full or part time study on an O-3 visa.


Disclaimer: The information found on this website is intended to be general information; it is not legal advice. Specific legal advice can only be given by a licensed professional with full knowledge of all the facts and circumstances of your particular situation.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.